Predictive Modeling of Flood Susceptibility: Phase 1
Project Presentation: May 13, 2020
Framing the Problem
Coupled human natural systems issue
People + Place = Natural Disaster
- Events occurring in areas not prepared or underprepared
- Larger duration, varied spread, varied intensity
- E.g. atmospheric rivers in CA
Physical Geography and Geology
- Slope: which way is downhill?
- Features: directing water i.e. saddles in ridges, escarpments, etc
- Soil porosity/water retention
- E.g. Less permeable clay has more run off
- Outdated or nonexistent infrastructure
- Declaring natural disasters and receiving aid based off financial damage to public infrastructure at the state level (CA)
- Replacement of porous surfaces with concrete
Data collection and processing of the factors important to predict flood susceptibility.
We have a progress summary of the data that we collected and there is a provided code along with it.
Constructing and evaluating the model.